January 22, 2009

Thoughts on Inauguration

I have been thinking about this post for a couple of days now. I am so glad I was able to witness the history of this day. I had several favorite moments. I loved seeing each of the past living presidents on the stand for the swearing in ceremony. I thought of how much good they have done worldwide when they could have just said, "I'm done serving my country, I deserve a rest." Each one of them, however, has continued to work along with their wives to make the world a better place.

I loved the faces in the crowd, old and young, all colors and nationalities coming together (and braving the cold!) to witness the moment. Reporters noted how kind and courteous everyone was with each other. The sheer number of people must have made it a security nightmare! There were no arrests, though. Everyone just wanted to see the new president, first lady, and family. And everyone holding up their digital cameras and cell phones to capture that moment. There must be some incredible photos out there.

I loved the piece of music composed by John Williams, "Air and Simple Gifts" performed by the quartet including Yo-Yo Ma. I have always loved this hymn from the Shakers. " 'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free. 'Tis a gift to come down where you want to be. And when you find yourselves in the place just right, 'twill be in the valley of love and delight." As the quartet played a flock of birds swooped and floated right over head, as if choreographed.

After the quartet, Barack Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States. I loved how eager he was, no fault in that. But then that must have tripped up the Chief Justice and made him rearrange the words Barack was supposed to repeat back. Barack smiled like, "aren't you going to correct that?" The justice then did, but then Barack repeated it back in the first way it was spoken to him. I thought it was just both men trying to get it right! It has since been repeated the correct way. You have to love all the formality in these ceremonies!




I thought Michelle and the girls looked so good. I was glad to see so much of her family there, especially the "First Grandma!" Those little girls are so lucky to have her around and now living in the white house with them.








I watched most of the parade. President Obama gave the band from Hawaii the "hang loose" sign, which I thought was great. My other favorite moment from the parade was when the Obamas got out of the car and walked the parade route to the reviewing stand. And Michelle had to do that in heels! She still had all those balls to get around to as well!


I realize this is just fluff, but for me the best moment was their first dance at The Neighborhood Ball. Beyonce´ sang "At Last," and it was magical. Gabrielle said,"I am glad we didn't have to see John McCain dance!" But the Obamas danced and danced all night long. They probably had that song in their heads by the 5th or 6th time they danced. Regardless, it was a beautiful moment to see.

I have also thought about the President's Inaugural Address. He is such a gifted speaker, and there were huge expectations for this speech that would set the tone for his administration. It was at the same time a message to the nations and a message to each of us as individuals. I feel a renewed responsibility that my President expects me as a citizen to do my part to make this country great. I don't have to be a corporate executive or former dignitary to make a difference. I can do it in my own home with my own family and in my own community. It is the concept that if everyone sweeps their own front porch, the whole world will be clean.

He said, "Greatness is never a given. It must be earned." I have hope that we will be able to look back many years from now and from a better place that we are in now-- and know that Barack Obama brought us through. That he earned that laurel of greatness from the nation he served and even the world.

No comments: