
Here is my one big memory of St. Patrick's Day: warning, it's pretty sad! I came into my first grade class room on March 17th, 1976 and my teacher, Ms. Lawlor, says to me, "Oh Karen! It's St. Patrick's Day and you aren't wearing any green! Would you like a shamrock to wear like mine?" then pointing out to me the beautiful shiny green and gold cloisonne pin she is wearing on the lapel of her polyester pants suit. "OH YES, PLEASE!" I respond with anticipation. How great she has two, I am thinking. Then she proceeds to go over to her desk and cut me out a shamrock out of GREEN CONSTRUCTION PAPER-- then hands it to me with a straight pin to go with it. I know I must not have immediately put it on happily because she said, "Oh I am sorry, you probably need a little help putting that on yourself!" then pinning that sorry construction paper thing to my shirt. I went to my desk in the second row thinking to myself-- this is NOT like Ms. Lawlor's. This is sorry construction paper and a straight pin-- not shiny gold and green enameled jewelry!!! Talk about your false advertising!
No comments:
Post a Comment