
Growing up in the eighties, Michael Jackson (along with Madonna) was one of the first pop artists that I really loved. I remember borrowing "Off The Wall" (on cassette) from my friend and buying "Thriller" when it first came out. I remember hurrying home from school to watch the videos of Billie Jean, Thriller, and Bad on Mtv (I was sooooo happy to have cable tv solely for the Michael Jackson videos!) I sat there in awe of how he moved those feet! I remember calling up to the radio station and requesting ANY Michael Jackson song! I even liked those funny songs and videos he did with Paul McCartney. I just showed my two girls the video of "We Are the World," an amazing collaborative effort with tons of stars working together in a single night to produce a song that would help so many children and families in Africa. As I watched the memorial service today I was reminded that he was truly a humanitarian as well as a pop icon. For me, he defined a decade.
No comments:
Post a Comment