We get to the game, drop Madison off where she is supposed to be for a 45 minute rehearsal. We go get out tickets, Jared had a pork tenderloin sandwich, and bought a coke. We find a good seat and were commenting on how it really turned out good weather, just cloudy, not a bit hot or anything. But alas, right as the bands were trooping out onto the field and getting into formation, it started to rain. I guess they thought they would just deal with it at this point. Plumes on the hats were still in place. The two high schools' dance girls had to perform this number together that seemed to go on and on with no end in sight. Then the big drops started and a heavy rain ensued. Gabrielle, Jared and I were huddled under the one purse-size umbrella I had brought. (We are new at this, ok? So nobody ask why we didn't have better rain gear!) We were getting soaked! Pretty soon they decided to take the plumes off the hats. Then, they decide to troop everyone off the field and under the stadium. We had no idea what was going to happen next! We thought they might come back out, but then, they must have given up completely because over the PA system comes, "Please rise for the National Anthem!" and it is totally the pre-recorded version! AUUUUUGGGGHHHHH! We and all the kajillion other Junior High parents run like mad for the holding area where the kids have marched off too underneath the stadium. Everyone was pretty much soaked, but I am seeing the value of the capes on those uniforms, and especially the hats! We made it home in the blinding rain and we proceeded to dry out. I had all the parts of Madison's band uniform and music flip chart hung all over the dining room table and chairs to dry. It's not like you can just throw a sequined cape in the regular clothes dryer!
It would have been a great experience for the kids to get to know what it was like to be in high school marching band, but I guess we'll have to wait on that! Funny thing was I think Madison had a great time anyway and will definitely remember her first marching band performance! Hope its better weather next year!


No comments:
Post a Comment