Monday, March 30th is my Mom's birthday! She says she is "ancient" but I think she is just extra-experienced! She has been a cover girl, a kindergarten teacher, and marvelous mom of three. Some of my favorite memories I have of my childhood are things my mom did for me and with me. I remember her reading to me and taking me to the public library in downtown Tulsa. I loved a book called "Mary Ann's Mud Day" and I checked it out over and over again. There was also a book about a pig with no words, just illustrations and she made up the story as we looked at the pictures. One of my favorite children's books to this day is Little Bear. It is one of the first books I remember reading on my own. My mom is a lot like Mother Bear in those stories! One of the stories is called "Birthday Soup". It is Little Bear's birthday and he can't find Mother Bear. His friends are coming and nothing is prepared. He thinks Mother Bear has forgotten his birthday. So, Little Bear decides to make "Birthday Soup." There is not much more than water and vegetables to this so-called soup and his friend arrive one by one. When the soup is hot and ready, Little Bear decides he cannot wait for Mother Bear, they must go ahead and eat the soup. Just then,Cat sees Mother Bear at the door, and says, "Wait, Little Bear. Do not eat yet. Shut your eyes, and say one, two, three." Little Bear shuts his eyes and says, "One two, three." Mother Bear comes in with a big cake. "Now, look," says Cat.

"Oh, Mother Bear," says Little Bear, "what a big beautiful Birthday Cake! Birthday Soup is good to eat, but not as good as Birthday Cake. I am so happy you did not forget."
"Yes, Happy Birthday, Little Bear!" says Mother Bear. "This Birthday Cake is a surprise for you. I never did forget your birthday, and I never will."
I never forget all the special things my mother did for me and I never will! Thank you Mom for everything. I Love You! Have a very happy birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment